Monday, August 15, 2011

Defining ourselves

A new business challenge - Being prepared to define Big Girl Cocktails.

We were out at one of our favorite local spots last night and and started up a conversation with some people hanging out at the bar. Some how Big Girl Cocktails came up. Instantly one of the girls at the bar, said, Oh cocktails for .. you know.. large women, they drink too! She didn't get it. I politely explained that being a big girl was a state of mind of maturity, grace, being fabulously strong and not about anyone's physical body characteristics; but still she continued with her cause, even going to the point of suggesting  that I re-do my logo, which is too thin, and target the plus sized market. Which may be a sound idea, but not mine. I kindly explained again, my concept is a celebration of womanhood, not one's shape.

I acted like a "big girl" and continued to smile and chat while she continued to not get it and push her idea with me. I'm used to it. It's kind of how people act when they hear I'm getting married. Every one has an opinion and ideas of what that experience should be like.

At the time, I don't really think it bothered me at all. Kelly and I even had a conversion on the way home about being prepared to respond to situations such as that. I appreciated his sweet concern, discussing how to handle those who question something so passionate to me.

But now as it's 2 am and I have entrepreneur-insomnia. Which is funny. I'm annoyed and awake over a complete stranger I just met. But she presented a new challenge for me.

Thou as I was lying in bed , not sleeping and thinking about the situation (or maybe the term brooding over is a better description) How is having to define my company any different than what we all do every day? I'm defining myself constantly as an artist, an mba, an author, an entrepreneur, a fiance, a daughter, a runner, and a friend. Women define themselves as single, as professionals, as moms, as wives as students... as whatever they are.

For those who have their OWN ideas of what big girl is.. this is not that.

What I'm creating is a celebration of mature women, who are so many wonderful things, and who have grown into amazing adults who rise to the occasion with grace, heart and mostly a great sense of humor about it all... as a big girl should.

- Cheers to all the big girls





No comments:

Post a Comment